- Improving food security and quality
- Reducing energy dependancy by using renewable energy
- Developing and producing solar food products
- Developing and implementing solar food technologies
- Creating income opportunities for private sector and SMEs
- Developing a sustainable and fair food industry
For the implementation of this project, the International Solar Energy Society (www.ises.org) had a unique position to draw together the experience and expertise of its international members and contacts to assist in developing this field of solar utilization and improve the knowledge and visibility thereof. Phases I to III (May 2005 – February 2009) of the Solar Food Processing project was financed by WISIONS, an initiative of the Wuppertal Institute for Climate, Environment and Energy, to foster practical sustainable energy projects. Since 2008 the network is maintained by a German NGO "Solare Zukunft" meaning "Solar Future"